Sunday, March 26, 2017

Week 30!

Hello families!

I hope this blog post finds you rested and relaxed after a great weekend! Mine was one of those nonstop weekends that has me looking forward to my routine of the work week! We celebrated my husband's birthday this weekend with families on both sides and some great friends (read: I cleaned the house, had people  over, cleaned up the house and repeated 3 times!)!
This upcoming week will be an exciting one, I will be at a professional development on Monday and Tuesday with the Arizona Department of Education on teaching reading effectively. Mrs. Smith will have the reins, and I will be back on Wednesday. I will have limited access to email at the conference, so I appreciate your patience with my communication, and if you need to get a message directly to your child I suggest calling the office those two days!

Announcements:
Field trip: We will be going to the Pioneer Living History Museum on Thursday, April 13! This is an amazing trip that I am greatly looking forward to! It will be an all day event, if you'd like to volunteer please send me an email so I can start generating a list. The field trip cost will be $20, and a permission slip will go home shortly. I will send an email the day the permission slip goes home!

Book  Reports: You child should've received a new book report in their Friday Folder. Some students got biography books, and some got a literature book. I didn't have enough of the same genre to go around students either got a biography book report or a literature cube book report. Please let me know if you have any questions on them! I am happy to help.

Fine Arts and French night is coming up on April 7th! The students have been practicing a song for a video for the French portion and its ADORABLE (or should I say mignon?)!

AzMerit testing starts this week for our 3rd through 5th grade students, while this doesn't directly impact your second grader, they will be taking it next year and we are prepping them through computer use and practice! If you come to volunteer please keep in mind students are testing and don't throw too big of a party in the hallway :]

We will start reading Little House in the Big Woods next week! If you don't already have it, please order it here.

Here is a look at our week:

Language arts: We will start a new unit on dictionary skills! We will become dictionary daredevils, alphabetical order aficionados, and guide word wonders! If you find yourself with nothing to talk about in the car help your child visualize the alphabet by asking what would come first in a dictionary; the word dog or the word iguana and WHY. In literature we have finished up Sarah, Plain and Tall, ask your scholar about the ending :]. This week we will spend some time in fairy tales and tall tales and explore the lives of Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, John Henry, and Casey Jones!

Math: Next week in math we will continue working with time! Please continue conversations with your time master. Next week we will relate time to events of our daily life. We will find the duration of a time interval in minutes and house, as well as attacking word problems with elapsed time. We will review and take a Unit 1-11 cumulative test on Friday. The homework Thursday night will provide great practice for Friday's test!

History: We are continuing on our journey west, learning about The Pony Express and following the cowboys, farmers, and miners on their adventures and challenges that come with moving to new lands. Can your history buff tell you about Daniel Boon? Robert Fulton? Jedidiah Smith? Or my person favorite Levi Strauss?

Science: Have you noticed all the magnets disappearing from your refrigerator? Students are LOVING our new unit on magnets. This week we will continue experimenting with magnetic poles and magnetic fields. We will also investigate and discover how a compass is a magnet!

XOXO,
Mrs. Cook